Letter from the Pastor
Together, we are praying and fasting before the Lord, so He can show us something as we draw together as a church. The Power of One starts with the individual and completes with One body of Christ working together according to His call. Join us as we pray and fast together!
Dear Church Family,
When God spoke to Nehemiah he prayed, fasted and all the people joined together as one to accomplish God's purpose. Jehoshaphat called all the people to pray and fast together in the face of a great enemy advance (2 Chron. 20). The battle was won. The church in Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch were collectively called to prayer and fasting by the disciples (Acts 14). They were facing many tribulations. God delivered them. Many other biblical examples abound.
This is why we are called to 40 days of prayer and fasting. We can do this. We must do this. The Bible clearly describes fasting as "not eating food." I have shared a number of ways you can be involved. Pray, choose, select, adjust, and do!
I have also shared some thoughts for those with special considerations such as smaller children or those who have medical conditions. My fervent prayer is for all of us to experience a renewed intimacy with our Savior. How can we ever be the same when we walk closely with the Lord?
I am calling on all who love the Lord Jesus to join together in a time set aside for prayer and fasting. I have often wondered why the Lord chose to "pick" on food. Perhaps because eating is something we all do from the moment we are born. We all need to eat. We all love to eat. This is why we fast from food and pray to God. Losing one finds the other. Hunger pangs are replaced with spiritual fulfillment. Intimacy with God is the result. Through our faith in God as a church family, He will do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. Thank you in advance for joining me in being a part of something that only God can do!
Your friend and pastor,
Below is our prayer guide for each of the forty days. We hope you'll join us in prayer!
40 DAYS OF PRAYER AND FASTING
- Church unity in purpose and mission
- 5 lost friends by name
- The homeless in our community
- Spartanburg leaders who need to know Christ
- Helping Center volunteers sharing Christ in word and deed
- Sacrificial giving to mission of FBS
- New opportunities for sharing Christ
- God to reveal your role in His mission
- Dr. Don & Karyn Wilton
- Passion for the lost
- Greater understanding of God’s Word
- US President and political leaders
- Chip Foster and all our Deacons
- Members of our Church Council
- Long range plans for FBS
- Ministers and their families
- Marriage bonds strengthened
- Senior Adults to come to Christ
- Broken and humbled hearts for the Lord
- Obedience to Biblical Stewardship
- Burden for the lost and boldness to share
- Strength for holy living
- Those in physical pain
- More salvations on TV and radio
- Finances for church HVAC upgradesand replacement
- A place to serve locally and globally
- Lost neighbors and friends
- The 26% living in poverty in Spartanburg
- Thousands of refugees moving to Spartanburg
- Financial wisdom
- All peoples welcome within FBS
- Wisdom for our Life Group teachers
- Missionaries serving around the world
- Our hearts to be open to sharing the gospel
- God to raise up teams to share Christ during Spring Fling.
- A brokenness for the lost—Families to be heart-broken for lost friends
- Parents Pursuing Holy Living; Children, teenagers & students seeing parents pursuing Holy Living
- Families in our weekday preschool
- Receptive hearts for Christ during VBS
- Real revival and awakening in USA