Did you Know....
...when twenty-five people got together in 1839 to begin First Baptist Spartanburg they wanted to minister to what was called the “wicked village” of Spartanburg? The first church was on one end of the parking lot of the current county courthouse.
...that when they were looking for a location for the second house of worship Mr. Dean offered to give the growing fellowship some land at the corner of Main and Dean Streets (our current location) but the members felt that it was too far out of town? They moved into the second building on North Church Street in 1856.
...the first women’s organization, the Ladies’ Aid Society, appeared first in the church records in 1884? This group used their entire collection of $22.55 on things for the church – carpeting, baptismal robes, furnishing for the parsonage and more. Later in 1923, they sold vanilla flavoring to pay to clean the carpet, wax the floors, and purchase a clock for the janitor.
...the first missionary sent out on behalf of FBS was Rev. H.M. Harris in 1919?
...that the bell mounted in the front courtyard by the chapel is the same bell used to summon scattered worshippers in the early days of the church?
...the first time FBS needed to have two worship services was in 1857?
...that on February 23, 1930, the 90th anniversary of FBS, we became the first in Spartanburg to broadcast worship on WSPA radio?
...the third house of worship into which we moved in 1904 burned to the ground on November 13, 1962? Exactly four years later, on November 13, 1966, the congregation worshipped for the first time in our present sanctuary.
...that FBS has reached out with community events and introduced hundreds to Jesus Christ? Those events include worship at the Beacon in the 1970’s, the Passion of Christ in the 1980’s, Impact ’97, the Main Event crossing the millenium, Don’t Miss the Point – Impact 2000, and Impact at Barnet Park 2005, as well as outreach events like our yearly Feed The Community, Fall Festival, Back to School Bash, and more!